SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year Program - Overview
The SMIPA Professional Year program in Accounting is developed by CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants. It provides international Accounting graduates from Australian universities with the practical skills and training required to enhance their career prospects.
As a leading accredited provider with campuses in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, Performance Education's SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year program provides Accounting professionals with an additional pathway from university to employment within Australia, offering job readiness training and an invaluable 12 week Accounting Work Integrated Learning (Internship) placement.
The SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year is an initiative of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIPB) to address Australia’s skills shortage through enhancing the employability of recent international Accounting graduates. Upon completion of the SMIPA Professional Year Program, qualifying candidates may be eligible to receive points towards their permanent residency under the Skilled Migration pathway.
SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year Program – Course Structure
The SMIPA Professional Year Accounting course is a 44 week program comprising of three stages:
Stage 1: Face to Face Classes
The first stage of the SMIPA Professional Year program encompasses seven 4 week long subjects. It is designed to provide you with the theoretical knowledge and communication skills to successfully integrate into the Australian business setting in the accounting field. Students are required to attend the Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide campus one day a week. Find out more about the Professional Year subjects.
Stage 2: Professional Work Integrated Learning Placement (Internship)
To help you apply your learnings and gain workplace experience, you will take part in a 12 week professional internship in the accounting field organised by our specialist internship placement division, Performance Careers. We work with 2,750 host companies across Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide. View some of our accounting Professional Year Work Integrated Learning placement opportunities.
Stage 3: Practical Applications
During this final stage of your program you will consolidate your Professional Year classroom studies and accounting internship placement experiences and prepare to successfully begin the next stage of your life – working in your nominated profession of Accounting in Australia. Practical Applications is run on campus in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide, and is unique to the Performance Education Accounting Professional Year Program.
SMIPA Professional Year Accounting Program – Intake Dates
For your convenience and work/life/study balance, we offer the flexibility to study one day a week with a choice of weekday and weekend days available. Our Melbourne and Sydney campuses offer SMIPA Professional Year classes every day of the week, while Adelaide offers them on Tuesdays and Sundays.
- Melbourne Accounting Professional Year Course Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
- Sydney Accounting Professional Year Course Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.
- Adelaide Accounting Professional Year Course Days: Tuesday, Sunday.
That means there are 16 guaranteed intake dates every month. We encourage students to apply sooner to ensure they get their preferred day of study. View our 2017/2018 SMIPA Accounting Professional Year Program start dates.
SMIPA Professional Year Course Duration: 44 weeks (minimum) including a 12 week accounting Work Integrated Learning (internship) placement.
Professional Year Class Size: Maximum 25
SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year Program – Entry Requirements
To be eligible for the SMIPA Professional Year in Accounting you must have:
- Completed a recognised Accounting degree in Australia that provides a minimum of 2 years credit points. This must be completed over a minimum of 18 months
- Obtained or applied for a Graduate (Temporary) Visa (subclass 485) with a minimum 12 months validity
- A current IELTS score of 6.0 overall and not less than 6.0 in any skill, or equivalent English test result
- A Migration Skills Assessment (or evidence of the application thereof) from an accounting professional association
SMIPA Professional Year Accounting Program - Usual Fees
For our 6th – 12th March 2017 intake only, the SMIPA (Accounting) Professional Year will be at the above special rates.
* Please note Adelaide has classes on Tuesdays and Sundays only. To access this offer, students must submit all the required documents and have the appropriate visa at time of application. The price is only valid for applications received between 15th February 2017 and date of commencement. Students must commit to their study day throughout the duration of the Professional Year. If they want to change their study day, the difference in fees (if any) must be paid regardless of when the study day is changed.
For more information Steven Nguyen for Sydney (email | 02 8036 4291), Jose Ponce for Melbourne (email | 03 9049 9107) or Brendan for Adelaide (email | 02 8036 4258). Be quick to secure your preferred study day and price!