Staying fit and healthy is often a priority most have. But how do we ensure that our mind and body stay healthy and strong during the cold and wintery months?
The cold and flu season is here and it’s common for people to fall sick, which can be dreadful and means missing out on things. But not to worry – there are a couple of things that you can do to prevent the sniffles.
- Hot tea with honey and lemon is my favourite drink to help soothe a sore throat. By keeping up your fluids it helps hydrate you too.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice is a great way to enjoy your vitamin C. It’s also a great way to shorten the length of your cold.
- You may have heard it for decades now, but Grandma’s chicken soup really does make you feel better when you are sick. Think nutritious vegetables, chunky pieces of chicken, maybe some noodles. Piping hot! It tastes just like a warm hug.
- Ginger, ginger, ginger. It has been commonly used for decades to combat the dreaded cold. Try adding ginger slices to your cup of tea, or crushed ginger to soup.
- Finally don’t forget your zzzz’s. Sleep is one of the world’s best remedies. People who are exhausted stay sicker longer. The body signals its need for rest by being tired. We have all experienced the fatigue of a common cold and the wish to rest. If only we would listen.
Remember if you feel yourself getting worse, you should always see your doctor.
Hopefully some of these tips will help keep you healthy this season so you don’t have to miss any activities, classes, days from your Professional Year or work.